Tours for Prospective Families
Tour dates are below. Please RSVP via the form — we need accurate counts in order to staff our tours with parent volunteers. Note that due to construction some tours will be held after school hours.
Tour dates are:
- [register] Thursday 10/17, 2019 (5:30-6:15pm)
- [register] Tuesday 11/12, 2019 (10:30-11:15am)
- [register] Thursday 11/21, 2019 (5:30-6:15pm)
- [register] Tuesday 12/10, 2019 (10:30-11:15am)
- [register] Thursday 12/12, 2019 (5:30-6:15pm)
- [register] Tuesday 1/7, 2020 (10:30-11:15am)
(Links will pre-fill the form in a separate window. Otherwise, use the form below.)
Second Community Parents Association & Student Enrichment Programs
Thanks to parent involvement and fundraising efforts, the Second Community Parent Association (SCPA) has funded these consultants for the 2019-2020 school year.
- K-3 Music – our music consultant brings a broad background of Orff music training and mindfulness instruction strategies. She collaborates with classroom teachers with music activities that reinforce and enhance Italian language.
- K-3 Art – our two resident artists teach art several days a week and assist classroom teachers with curriculum inspired by local museum exhibits, art shows and art history.
- K-5 P.E. – our long-time Clarendon P.E. teacher and alum integrates physical activity enrichment with a focus on cooperation, personal responsibility and works closely with Playworks.
- K-5 Playworks – this program provides 5-day onsite consulting and outdoor activities during recess. Playworks offers systems to develop and sustain a positive educational culture for everyone, starting at recess.
- 4/5 Writing – our writing consultant, a former writing coach with SFUSD and former Clarendon assistant principal, works with classroom teachers to guide individual and small group writing.
- 4/5 New Conservatory Theater – this program provides students the opportunity to explore the dramatic arts
Update on Italian Program at Clarendon
- Italian will not be offered for the 2019-2020 school year while a parent committee explores redesigning the program.
The Second Community Program was founded in 1972 by parents who wanted to extend the cooperative nursery school model—in which parents are key resources on both the classroom and administrative levels—to a public elementary school. Throughout the years, parent participation has been the cornerstone of Second Community’s culture. Parents participate in school governance, work in classrooms, and raise funds for the music, art, physical education, computer/technology programs, and Italian language instruction. Their contributions of volunteer time and financial support are essential to the success of the school.
Second Community shares the Clarendon site with another alternative San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) program, the Japanese Bilingual Bicultural Program (JBBP.) Though Second Community and JBBP are distinct programs with separate teaching staff, parent groups, and fundraising, the two programs share many resources and the teachers relate as one staff.
Families may apply to San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) for admission to either the Second Community Program or the Japanese Bilingual Bicultural program. In other areas, including test scores and enrollment statistics, the SFUSD treats the combined programs as one school. The current ratio between the populations of students in the two programs is approximately 50% JBBP to 50% Second Community.
Clarendon Elementary is nationally recognized as one of the National Blue Ribbon Schools in 2014 and is awarded a California Distinguished School.
Awards received by the school: